Recent comments

• Monday! What are you Reading?   4 years 17 weeks ago

Started Aimee Thurlo newest "Earthway". Just finished "Mistress Of the Art Of Death" by Ariana Franklin

• Inquiring Minds Want to Know   4 years 17 weeks ago

My book club doesn't usually pick a December book either, but I really like your idea of a book exchange and will suggest it next year.

• Christmas Meows   4 years 18 weeks ago

HI, I saw your comment on SIAB. A book I strongly recommend, though it may not be quite what you were intending in this request, is Yan and the Christmas Tree by Jun Machida.

• Teaser Tuesday 12/8   4 years 19 weeks ago

Interesting! Seriously! Good teaser.

• Teaser Tuesday 12/8   4 years 19 weeks ago

Excellent and intriguing teaser.

• Inquiring Minds Want to Know   4 years 19 weeks ago

Our 9 month old neighborhood book club decided to not read a book this month because we are all so busy & instead have a book swap/holiday party. We are each bringing a favorite book that we have read to exchange and afterwards we will just get to talk with each other, something we don't get enough of when we have a discussion scheduled.

• Inquiring Minds Want to Know   4 years 19 weeks ago

November and December are always a good time to think about giving back to your community. Maybe for your December meeting you could all bring a book to donate to a local literacy nonprofit, school, or library. Or raise money and go shopping together for books to donate. Your local library likely has a wish list - if you ask, you could probably get them exactly what they want. Or volunteer together to read to kids.

There are tons of books that compliment idea, too: Three Cups of Tea, Bill Clinton's Giving, The Gift of Thanks by Margaret Visser (which, full disclosure, is published by the company I work for), just to name a few.

• Inquiring Minds Want to Know   4 years 19 weeks ago
  • Teaser Tuesday Two   4 years 20 weeks ago

So I wonder why the protagonist found it hard to pray after all their experience! Great teaser!

• Teaser Tuesday Two   4 years 20 weeks ago

Interesting teaser! Mine are posted here!

• Teaser Tuesday Two   4 years 20 weeks ago

Ooh, I loved Chris Bohjalian's previous works. . .I'll be back for your review!

• Teaser Tuesdays   4 years 21 weeks ago

Later, he would blame himself for not seeing what would happen, as if he could have prevented it, but during the weeks that followed, his preoccupation was above all with his mother's health and the mending of the injured dogs. He cleansed and salved Epi's sutures every morning, and held warm compresses in place until they had cooled in his hands, leaving for school with his fingers stained brown from antiseptic.

From "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski

• Teaser Tuesdays   4 years 21 weeks ago

Hmm, it really makes me wonder what's going on. My teaser is up at Calico Contemplations.

• Reading Group Holiday Parties   4 years 21 weeks ago

I love the idea of reading a Christmas book for Book Club. My mother always gave me a book about Christmas each year and she always wrote a personal note on the inside. I cherish bringing out these Christmas books each year as they bring back such good memories of my mother. I will have to get the Truman Capote Christmas Memory for myself this year.

• Diva? Not Me!   4 years 23 weeks ago

Love it. maybe I'll try that! thanks for the tip.

• Diva? Not Me!   4 years 23 weeks ago

Well I try to keep things going by saying, "Let's get
    back to our reading guide or group questions." Sometimes
    I have to press this stuffed bird that I have that chirps a tune. The ladies get a kick out of it when I do that...

• Diva? Not Me!   4 years 23 weeks ago

what a great idea! I'll work on that. In the meantime, how many would you need? Email me info@readinggroupchoices.com

• Diva? Not Me!   4 years 23 weeks ago

yes! please email info@readinggroupchoices.com with your info. Hope they will help! Thanks.

• Diva? Not Me!   4 years 23 weeks ago

Think the bookmarks are a great idea but I work with three BIG groups and it would be too many to ask you to send. Have you thought of putting a PDF on-line so they could just be printed on card stock here?

thanks

Dottie

• Diva? Not Me!   4 years 23 weeks ago

I love the idea of bookmarks. It might be an eye opener without getting any feelings hurt.

• Halloween Howls   4 years 23 weeks ago

Barbara - any ideas for the december meeting? Christmas/ holiday themes. One year we went to a play - the Christmas Carol. Last year we all brought in our favorite holiday book. Some adult some classic some children's. That was fun but what should we do this year? Bonnie

• Oldie But Goodie   4 years 23 weeks ago

My book club adored The Woman in White. It was one of our best all-time discussions. Right now I'm suggesting everyone read Jane Austen's, Lady Susan. Another short one most folks haven't encountered by a beloved author.

• Oldie But Goodie   4 years 23 weeks ago

I just finished The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham and thought it was an absolutely gorgeous book! My book group is reading fiction set in an Asian country and I can't wait to share it with them!

• Diva? Not Me!   4 years 23 weeks ago

Love the new blog! This is a topic near and dear to my heart since I started a genre book group at my library. Since no one reads the same book and we are discussing shared experience rather than plowing through discussion questions, I've had to sort of teach the members how to do booktalks as well as ride herd on the amount of time taken and information shared by participants. It's very much a learn-as-you-go sort of group but my members seem to love it!

• Diva? Not Me!   4 years 23 weeks ago

The bookmarks would be a great way to open the subject for exploration, in any case. Have you any left to share?